BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Lock In Filled With Opportunity?

Tonight I helped at lock in at a baptist church about a mile away from my house. The story of how I came by it is funny but simple. I quite literally walked in by accident. I was playing basketball at this church when I was invited in for a cold drink. When I got inside I realized they were getting ready for something so my curiosity peaked and I had to ask what it was. When the answer was a youth lock in I immediately became interested but didn't say anything. Eventually, Jackie, the youth intern minister asked if I'd like to hang around and help. I said sure, not exactly sure what was going to be going on. Jackie and I talked for a while when she brought up the fact that she had a lesson ready but wasn't going to school to be a youth minister. Somehow we got on the topic that that's what I had been going to MACU for and she asked me to do the lesson. I gladly and without hesitation accepted this invitation only to question what would I talk about. Then I realized that this was a lock in, a place of fellowship. So I took that and made it my lesson... one on fellowship. Before hand I had already been presented with so many questions and so little answers to give back... but by the end most the questions were answered and those that weren't are bound to be answered soon. I have found myself between options here... but a couple have come from this lock in and has filled my life with a new wonder of what may come. These youth are amazing, it's hard to believe I should know most of them and that I probably went to school with half of them. This was a blessed night filled with energy, laughter, voices, lost voices from yelling, running, talking, and sharing. The only thing that concerns me is that this youth only has two big leaders and one is leaving soon. The second is fixing to be a senior in high school. The rest aren't really disciplined kids. Smokers, drinkers, drug abusers, drop outs... the list goes on.. but basically they need guidance. Who will bring that when their leaders are gone? It might have been a night of opportunity for me... but what did it do for them?

0 comments: