BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Living the Legacy

I spent the morning at an old friend's grave
Memories of what was surrounding my mind
How I wish you were here with me now
Wondering why you had to say goodbye that night

I remember when we'd spend hours a day together
You'd teach me everything I would eventually do
Sitting outside days upon days playing sports
Telling me stories all along of the old music days

Tell me where have you gone now
You were my father figure for a long time
My closest friend till I was fourteen
Then you went to sleep and never woke

Thinking now after this visit I must continue
You left a legacy behind to many that remains
Left the will to me that I should continue the legacy
Upon the last closing moments of your grand life

You spoke your last words to anyone to me
Wishing that I would find the girl that I'd love eternily
Telling me to never let go when that did happen
Well uncle, I hope I've done you proud now with her

You left me in your will all the grand memories we had
The remains of the great musical talents I'd been taught
The athletes determination of playing the game for fun
And the heart to care for everyone and push for change

Tell me where have you gone now
You were my father figure for a long time
My closest friend till I was fourteen
Then you went to sleep and never woke

Well the time will come for me
She'll come into my life and I'll promise to not let go
I wish you'd be here to show her what one day I want to be
How much of a mark you left on this world we live in

You are my greatest hero in my life ever
I hope one day to bring justice to your will you left me
I'm trying hard to do so at this moment for you
I sure She would've loved to meet you before you went

The great Lord knows what you've done
He's taking care of you know in your eternal home
You're looking down at me and I'm sure you're smiling
You keeping an eye on me and nodding in approval

That I'm sure of right this moment
You're giving all your approval right now
You're proud of me for trying at least right now
And you know I hope one day to care like you did

I know you're still here with me
My father figure still remains for me
Standing right by my side, closest friend still
You never sleep anymore, always you're awake
Watching over me and smiling always

For you I'll continue my life in this way, to make you proud
Loving with my everything for all eternity
I'll never let go because of you my uncle
Teaching me to be me and hold onto the best I've got

I spent this morning at an old friend's grave
Remembering everything he stood for and taught me
Standing for the love that God gives to everyone
Teaching me to love and give everything to you